The Hibernian Supporters Association was delighted to host an event to commemorate the first women’s football international.
The game, a 3-0 victory for Scotland against England in 1881, was played at Hibernian Park, the first “Easter Road” home of Hibernian Football Club.
The Hibernian Supporters Association Clubrooms are now situated on the site where Hibernian Park stood.
Important unveiling by @JoeFitzSNP of a plaque today at the Hibs Supporters Club on Sunnyside. It marks the location and occasion of the first international women’s football match Scotland v England @BenMacpherson and @AMcNeeseMechan in attendance with @RodPetrie1875 pic.twitter.com/4nxqZuCUw8
— Edinburgh Reporter (@EdinReporter) December 3, 2019
Hibernian Park was also the site of the first Scotland home men’s international to be played outside Glasgow, a 5-1 victory over Wales.
The Hibernian Supporters Association have worked with the Hibernian Historical Trust to commemorate the site and a plaque was today unveiled Joe FitzPatrick, Scotland’s Minister for Public Health, Sport and Wellbeing.
Today, @JoeFitzSNP unveiled a plaque at the Hibs Supporters’ Club to commemorate the first women’s international football match. The game in 1881 saw Scotland take a 3-0 victory against England. @ActiveScotGov pic.twitter.com/i8QAnXwEv0
— Scot Gov Health (@scotgovhealth) December 3, 2019
The event, hosted by HSA chairman Crawford Corrigan, included speeches from Scotland manager Shelley Kerr, Hibernian Ladies captain Joelle Murray and SFA President Rod Petrie. Directors from Hibernian Football Club and local MSP Ben Macpherson and MP Tommy Sheppard were also in attendance.
Ian Young of the Hibernian Historical Trust provided more history of Hibernian Park and the first women’s international match.
As well its international history Hibernian Park was also the home of Hibs when they became the first Edinburgh side to win the Scottish Cup.
Following that win Hibs were crowned “Association Football Champions of the World” when the beat “the invincibles” of Preston North End in 1887.
The plaque can be seen at the entrance to The Hibs Club at Sunnyside.
Our thanks to all who attended and for all the hard work done by the Hibernian Historical Trust and members of HSA in delivering such an important event.